Sunday, June 27, 2021

Give Thanks...Reliable Transportation


 I came across a tweet today...just a random message in my timeline. A father sent out a message for help. His family, returning home to California, had car troubles. They were stranded with a broken-down van. The father asked if anyone was near Baker, California, could they give his family a lift into town until he reached them.

That thought, as I read the message, struck fear in me.

Last week we traveled that same road, around the same of day. We didn't know this when we scheduled the trip but we would be traveling during an unprecedented heat wave. When we drove across the desert the temperature registered 119˚ driving through Baker and Barstow. I prayed for the father and his family. Thankfully, the California Highway Patrol picked up the family and took them into town.

I'm so grateful for reliable transportation.

Our van is (considering the 2022 models come out in a few months...) fifteen years old. Before we moved, we drove it so infrequently...we're making up for it now. The van was practically gifted to us by an amazing friend about ten years ago. I don't know what we'd have done without that van.

As we drove to and from California, we saw cars pulled over--hopefully, it wasn't because of car problems, but I suspect some were. I hope people came to their assistance the way the police did for that man's family...the way our friend did for us years ago. Because of that van--in part--we were able to visit family, watch my daughter perform at a national event, helped my son connect with internet friends he'd never met, and create memories for the entire family. And saved us from breaking down in the desert. 

Yes...I'm so grateful for reliable transportation.



No comments:

Post a Comment