Saturday, June 5, 2021

I Didn't Realize It At The Time...But I Jinxed It


 My generation is the first video game generation. Pong came into existence (thanks to a U of U student...) in the seventies. I was between five-years old and ten-years old in the seventies. My poison was Asteroids...loved that game. Still love that game. I spent way too much money on that game, and others. A quarter a play...almost seems ridiculous now, but it wasn't...because I paid it.

Younger generations than mine seem to be more involved in video games. The twenty-somethings, thirty-somethings, even forty-somethings play more games than me. These are just my observations so I may be wrong here. Still, as it applies to me, I don't play a lot of games.

Fast forward several decades and now I have an iPhone. The technology in that phone makes the original Pong game look like a marble compared to a car. There are so many apps out there, so many games, it's sometimes overwhelming. Out of all those possibilities, I've basically found two that I play...a solitaire game, and a breakout-type game.

When I got my new iPhone last year, I transferred the information from my old iPhone to the new one. When I went to play Jet Ball, it didn't download. Turns out, that particular game is no longer in the App Store.

Bummer.

But, I still had the game on my old phone, so not so bad.

Then, I got a message that a new iPhone operating update was available. I updated both phones, went to play Jet Ball on the old phone, and I got the above message. And because the game is no longer in the app store, the game is no longer available to me.

Last week my wife, daughter, and I were discussing iPhone games. My wife and daughter play a couple of games I don't play and they chatted about them. My daughter was complaining about one of their games, and I said, "I only play two games...that's all I need."

Now, thanks to the update, I only have one.

I shouldn't have said that...pretty sure I jinxed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment