Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Will They...Or Won't They?


 I spotted the tent at dusk...it sat unattended, not drawing attention to itself, solitary. Of course, we knew exactly what it was. It's a lair, a place that offers wonders of science and chemistry, and potential destruction.

Still, it's existence begs the question...

Will they?

Or won't they?

There's a debate in our little part of the world. The debate comes around--without fail--at this time of the year, every year. Sometimes, one side seems to have the better argument over the other...then, the tables turn. I'd say, however, this year one side definitely has the advantage.

Which side is that?

The "all fireworks need to be banned" side.

Usually, this side protests the selling and igniting of fireworks with the "the fireworks are too loud," and "fireworks scare my pets," and "fireworks keep me up all night because idiots keep lighting them off well after midnight" chants. I for one believe these are all valid points. However, I also believe the since we're supposedly an enlightened society, the pro-firework and con-fireworks peoples should be able to live in harmony, each side giving a little until a consensus is reached.

This year, though...

The anti's have a lot more firepower (pardon the pun...). This year, we're lacking rain and snow before that. It's a drought year, one of the worst. And since many fires have already been caused by humans in the state, banning fireworks seems more reasonable than ever.

Still...

I feel for those who earn a living selling the chemical joy at what seems like every corner in the state. My opinion. Since we lived next to the mountains for decades, we were always banned from setting off fireworks. To us, it's no big deal not to have them. I guess that makes it easier to say skipping them this year might be the best thing. All I know is, they don't pay me the big $$ to make that decision so my opinion is worth about as much as you've paid to hear it. Whatever happens, I hope there's no fires because of them and that we get some much-needed rain soon.

Will they...or won't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment