Thursday, June 24, 2021

What A Difference 42 Minutes And 10 Seconds Can Make...


 I took a break just before halftime, leaving the game playing in the basement so I could share in a phone conversation with family as we prepared for our trip. After all, there'll be a break soon and I can always go watch the second half after the phone call.

The call ended...I accessed an app on my phone to check the score. Instead of the clock running, the app said the game was postponed. 

That made no sense.

It wasn't until I checked another app that I found out what happened. 

Truly horrific.

If you've seen any video of the event, you know what I mean. We're watching an elite athlete dying on a soccer pitch and men frantically trying to save his life. If you haven't seen the video, be careful. I will say, it'll change you...or it should.

I know it changed every person in that stadium. Europeans are crazy about their national soccer teams. I've experienced what it's like to be in Denmark when the national team beats another world power. There's nothing like it. Within seconds, none of that mattered, swept away like a fleeting summer storm. As the camera graciously panned from the nightmare on the field to those in the stands, the fans were stunned, sickened, changed.

The Danes had the highest of hopes entering the tournament. 42 minutes and 10 seconds later, no one cared about winning the tournament--or even the game--they worried about a player, a team leader, a fellow countryman and they prayed he would live.

Those prayers were answered.

I don't think I'll ever watch a Danish soccer game the same ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment