Saturday, May 6, 2023

Online Trainings...Putting The "Suck" In "Soul-Sucking"


 Okay, that's a little harsh. It's not completely "soul-sucking," but it was a fun title for a blog post so I kept it. The problem is, it's part of the job.

I have a theory as to why we have so many trainings--the main reason? It cuts down on insurance. I may be wrong, but it makes sense that by having all employees take the same trainings, every year...

Every year...

Every year.

Since this is my 26th year with the organization, I've completed these trainings a lot. I haven't counted them, but there must be 20+ trainings we complete annually. Most are fine...they go over the same stuff, how to treat sensitive information, how to handle an armed intruder, how to deal with fires, what to do and not to do when it comes to harassment. You know, the basics. I don't want to diminish the importance of this knowledge. It's just when you take the same trainings again and again and again...well, it can feel like the dementors and circling and beginning that "soul sucking" thing.

I took a screen shot of one particularly frustrating training I did last week. I was stuck on one question for a long time. I even went back and studied the previous screens, studied the earlier information to make sure I was getting it right. The good news is after all that time I doubt I'm ever going to forget the answers to that question again...

Until we're required to take it next year, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment