Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Sometimes I Really Miss Our Fish Tank...Then I Remember


 Last week my wife and I stopped by our chiropractor's office. We hadn't been there in a while. When that happens, you notice changes, like a new poster or TV screen, a new piece of wall art...

Or a new fish tank.

It was beautiful.

It was a corner tank, curved on a custom-built base. I have no idea how many gallons, but I would imagine at least fifty. I'm no fish tank fish expert either, but it was stocked with several species. I took a picture of a couple of them.

Both my wife and I commented on it, how great it looked in the waiting room, how amazing the fish looked swimming around in their underwater world. It made me think about when we had a fish tank and how it would be awesome to have another one.

Then, I started to think about it.

We got fish a few months after we got married. It was a tall twenty-gallon tank. Because it was tall, it didn't take up too much room which was good because our first (and second, and third...) apartments were not big. I'd say we had moderate success with the fish. Yes, they lived for a time, until they didn't. I admit I loved watching the little fishies swim about. There's something soothing about a fish tank. It's calming.

Until, that is, you deal with the upkeep.

Having any pet comes with chores, responsibilities. It's a give-and-take situation. Maybe having a tall tank made it more difficult to clean, but I'm sure I'd complain about any sized tank. We'd clean it, try new filters, even buy scrubber fish...it still seemed to get dirty quicker than we thought it should. I see those huge tanks with the beautiful fish and I wish I had the time and patience (and money...) to have another tank. But then, I don't think it would be worth it. 

 I believe tanks in professional offices are serviced with people who are paid to take care of everything so all the owners have to do is enjoy. That's the way to go. I think I could handle that.

No comments:

Post a Comment