Saturday, May 27, 2023

How In the World Did A Yves Saint Laurent Tuxedo End Up At The Brigham City Deseret Industries...?


 Yesterday my wife and I ran errands. We still have a million things to do to prepare for our daughter's wedding next month. On the way to pick up a clothes steamer of all things, we stopped at the Deseret Industries thrift store in Brigham City, Utah.

It's where we found a tuxedo.

Made by Yves Saint Laurent.

I tried on the jacket...it fit extremely well considering it was the only tuxedo in the store. I held up the pants at the side of my legs and they looked to be the right length. Neither of us could believe it was a YSL tux. My wife asked how much it cost.

I said, "Thirty bucks."

"We're buying it," she said--no hesitation.

When we find something at a thrift store (or a yard sale...) that might be worth something, we come home a do an internet search so see if we've scored a great deal. This time, it's hard to say if it was a good deal or an incredibly amazing deal. If you search for Yves Saint Laurent tuxedo, the jacket can cost between $3400 and $4500. The pants will set you back $1350. I know this thing isn't worth that, but, well...if it is worth something close to that, how in the world did it get there? Who donated it? Where did they get it?

Another mystery is the only tag in the garments. It says, "Ancient Thai Silk Co., LTD. 100% Thai Silk." I thought the entire suit was silk, but I think it's wool with silk linings. I could be wrong--I've never owned a silk suit before.

So, we bought a suit that came with unanswered questions. There's someone out there who knows the answers to these questions. The questions make the whole experience more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment