Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Spent My Days Chasing Rainbows...The Kinds You Get From Functioning Sprinklers


 To me, sprinkler systems and frustration are synonymous.

And today, offered further proof.

There was some good news, however...I know what I need to do.

We've had such a wet winter and spring, we haven't really needed to turn our our irrigation water until now. Two years ago, we put in the system. Last year, we turned on the system and it worked perfectly. This year...Nope. The controller was shot.

No problem, I thought. I'll just go get another one. I bought one last night and took the day off work to get it up and running and to check all the lines. Things didn't go as easily as I would have hoped. When I hooked up the controller, the system wouldn't work. I heard the valves click open, then they'd close. We went to the hardware store and they said it might be a bad unit. So, I bought another one.

This one also did not work. I kept wondering if I had messed up the wiring, but that's unlikely. Wiring is not that tough, and I followed the instructions. I went to the store where I bought controller #2 and explained my situation with a store employee and a customer.

Turns out the customer is a professional landscaper and sprinkler guru.

Thank, goodness!

He explained that the reason none of the controllers worked is because we were using a DC-powered unit before and I was trying to use AC-powered controllers now. I bought another controller (hopefully, the last one...), and tomorrow I'll pick up the other parts I need to make it work.

No, the system was not fixed today, but thanks to that last trip to the store and talking to the guy with the answers, I know what I need to do. Looks like the rainbows will have to wait...

But they're coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment