Monday, May 29, 2023

A Birthday Party...Celebrating Ninety-Five Years


 How appropriate to celebrate my uncle's 95th birthday this weekend, a weekend when we remember the lives of those who went before, those who sacrificed. Even though my uncle and aunt are still with us, they've lived through times about which books are made, generations are formed.

In the above picture from left to right are my grandparents on my mother's side, then my mother, father (the tall one...), my aunt, and finally my uncle. Only the last two are still with us.

Yesterday, our family gathered at the gravesite of my parents and sister. Today, we got to spend time with cousins, friends, family. 

I've always considered myself lucky, blessed to be placed in the family I'm in. Being adopted, my entire existence could have been so much different. Because my father passed away when me and my siblings were so young, we spent a lot of time with family, especially on my mother's side. We also spent time with my father's siblings and their families, but many of them were older and lived farther away. We really bonded with my cousins, many of which were at today's celebration.

I love those people.

Many of the fondest memories of my youth involve those people, summer vacations, hiking in the Tetons, just spending time in southeast Idaho.

I didn't take a photo of my uncle today--it didn't feel right. Instead, my wife and I listed to him tell us a sweet story of what it's like living for almost a century. The birthday gave us an excuse to hold a mini-family reunion. As we get older, those usually happen when one of us are no longer here and not only are we gathering to reminisce, but to say, good-bye. Chances are the next time we meet will be for that very reason.

Happy birthday, Uncle! You're small in stature, but a giant in my memory and my world. God bless.



No comments:

Post a Comment