Thursday, May 25, 2023

Ever Lived Next To A Breakfast Cereal Plant...?


 We do, in fact, live about two miles from a factory where breakfast cereals are produced. It's one of those things that makes our little town unique, like a haunted hotel, or a work-out gym where a semi-famous movie was filmed.

We have a cereal plant.

It's located across the street from the hospital on the west side of town. Not knowing the history of the area very well, I don't know which came first, the hospital or the plant.

I knew a man who grew up on a dairy farm in Hooper. He told me once he could tell by the way the milk tasted what the cows had been eating. What does that have to do with living next to a cereal plant? When we drive by, if the wind if blowing in a favorable direction, you can tell when the plant is making different breakfast cereals. My nose isn't experienced enough to know exactly which cereal they're making when the wind flows in a favorable direction. My wife and I discuss it as we drive by. We make guesses--don't know if we're right or not.

I met someone who works in the plant. He's the son of a former neighbor. I think it would be a fascinating job making cereal.

Yes, other cities have their attractions, perhaps a big ball of twine, or a petting zoo with semi-unusual animals, but they don't have a breakfast cereal plant like we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment