Saturday, June 12, 2021

Gotta Support The Home Team...


 I've been searching for a certain article of clothing at our local thrift stores for a while. It's how I usually find things. I'll get it in my mind of what I want, then whenever we're near a thrift store, we'll go in and check to see if it's there.

I won't say now what that article of clothing is, but I will let you know if/when I find one (and one in my size...). Needless to say, the last time we went I did not find what I was looking for, but I found something else, a shirt emblazoned with the logo of the local high school's track team.

The Bear River Bears Track Team.

I thought it would be a good idea to pick it up.

I'm glad I did.

People around here are pretty loyal to the local school. It feels like it did when I attended Dear Ol' Davis High School. Back then, there were actual demarkations between Centerville (Viewmont), Farmington/Fruit Heights/Kaysville (Davis), and Layton (Layton). We were pretty proud to be Darts (still am...). Those to the south were proud to be Vikings, and to the north, Lancers. I know it's silly, but that's how it felt. When we left Davis County, there's almost no distinctions between those cities, and now Farmington has its own high school. I'm sure there are proud Phoenix there now.

I've worn the new shirt a lot. I wear it around town, and even though I have absolutely no connection to the school. Still, it makes me feel part of the community and maybe--even though people here have no idea who I am nor have they ever seen me before--I'm more accepted.

I was thinking, as I thought about this particular post, I have NO shirts or clothing bearing the Davis High or Dart logo. Living on the same street where I grew up I never needed to let people know where I attended. Maybe, I should have--when perusing the thrift stores in Davis County--picked up a shirt or jacket that told the world I attended Davis High School. In fact, having a Davis High Track shirt would be pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment