Friday, July 22, 2022

Amazing...Simply Amazing


 "Take the umbrella," my wife told me before I left.

It turned out to be a lifesaver.

I knew they tested rockets at the site for years. I'd catch a short video on the local news of the latest test firing and I always wanted to see on in person. Just after we moved, we were sitting around our new house and we felt a low rumble, not anything big, like a heavy truck driving by. Then we saw the plume of smoke over a distant mountain and we knew...

They'd tested another rocket.

For their latest test, the company sent out a flyer in the mail--the next test will take place such and such. I decided now was my chance. Since I was a small child, I remember the watching the moon landings on TV, looking up at the moon and thinking there were people walking up there. It's always fascinated me.

I called a friend, an engineer who works at the site. He gave me some suggestions on when to arrive, what to bring. Sunscreen, water, a chair. The wife suggested the outdoor umbrella. I got there early and set up camp.

One thing I expected to find (and one thing I did find...) was a group of people who liked to chat. I spent a lot of time talking to a kid (he was a rocket scientist, but he looked like a kid...) who knew all about the program and the significance of the test. He knew future rocket dates and when they expect to start re-sending humans to the moon. Amazing. I also met another engineer from Texas. It was fun to chat with him--I love hearing about our state form those who did not grow up here.

After a few delays--nothing too long--the countdown resumed. I had no idea what to expect. My friend told me "You see if before you hear it." The clock ticked down. You could feel the excitement rise with each passing second. Finally, T-minus 10 seconds. Everyone counted down, then...

This little tube looking like a white pencil a 1.6 miles away came to life. The roar of the engine hit seven seconds later. You could hear the crackling, all that power...incredible.

We watched until the fire died, the huge plume of smoke rose above us. We all cheered.

Everyone hurried to their cars to crank the a/c and escape the 100˚ heat. As I sat in my car, I watched a slow-moving fire spread over the mountain caused by the test. I don't know, but I think the grooves carved into the mountainside are fire breaks, to stop any fire that eventually happens at these things. Finally, my car made it out of the parking lot and I came home.

I may ever get to see a rocket launch from the coastline. This may be the closest I ever get. And if that's the case, I'm okay with it. Watching the test firing was, in a word...amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment