Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Finished A Short Story Last Night...It Felt Good


 I thank/blame the peer pressure generated from the e-mails that figuratively gave me a "kick in the pants" to start/complete my little story. After all, should't a writer be, well...writing?

Yes, they should.

I don't know how it happened, but somewhere along the way I found myself in the company of several insanely talented writers. I was welcomed into their inner circle with opened arms. Getting into the circle was relatively easy--don't be a jerk, mostly. Remaining in the circle is a little tougher...

Keep writing.

When I attended grad school and about the time my first short story was published, I wrote a lot. How much is "a lot?" It's relative. What is a lot for some is what others do before lunch. I wrote a novel in 2016 (can't believe it's been that long...), then I've slacked off. I can blame "writer's block," or "I'm busy doing other things," but every writer knows those excuses are simply that...excuses. 

This past spring, I passed on a writing retreat, one I've loved to attend in the past and look forward to attending each year. Those who did attend came up with a brilliant idea...each attendant would write a short story with only one thing connecting all the submissions...

They had to focus on one person, the same person, sort of a hero among the group. The deadline isn't for several months, but as expected, the cream of the crop writers submitted their stories right away. Of course, they were amazing. I knew I had to do something, create something, get my writing butt off the procrastination couch and contribute. 

The first draft was completed last night. It needs to be tweaked, but I'm going to get it in. I know that I will not be expelled from the circle--those inside are much too classy for that. But I feel I need to step up, do the work. Funny thing about that, I had a blast writing it.

I should do it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment