Saturday, July 30, 2022

Spotted The Grasshopper's Legs...One Of My Earliest Memories


 I had a meeting today in Salt Lake, actually a little south from the official Salt Lake City limits. After the meeting I was about to turn west on 5300 South when I looked at the mountain range to the east.

That's when I spotted Mt. Olympus, or what I used to call...

Grasshopper Legs.

You see, my family used to live about twenty blocks east from where I pulled my car over to snap a picture. I lived on Delmont Drive, just north of the old Cottonwood Mall. I lived there from when I was born until 1970. I was only four-years old when we moved north to a street where I lived off-and-on for fifty years.

That mountain view was something I saw every day (every day I was outside, that is...) between the ages of newborn and four. The Mt. Olympus peak was the most prominent feature of the mountain range to the east. And to a four-year old (and younger...), the peak looked like a pair of grasshopper legs. I remember few things of the time when I lived on Delmont Drive, but I've never forgotten the grasshopper legs.

In the time since our family moved, I returned to the Salt Lake valley thousands of times. I attended school and graduated from the University of Utah. I worked downtown for more than a decade. When my wife and I first married, we lived in Salt Lake for years. The thing is, you can see Mt. Olympus from anywhere in the valley, but only if you're around 5300 South do you get the perspective to see the peaks line up the way they do.

Millions of people have lived and passed through the Salt Lake Valley since 1965, millions of children grown up in the shadow of those incredible mountains. I wonder how many of them looked upon Mt. Olympus and thought it resembled the legs of a grasshopper.

I know of at least one.




No comments:

Post a Comment