Sunday, December 31, 2017

Ringing In The New Year Live...Tape Delayed


Growing up, without the internet or even cable, our entertainment options were a bit limited. One thing I do remember was staying up New Years Eve and watching Dick Clark live as he ushered in the new year from Times Square in New York City.

It wasn't until later that I realized that, even though I was watching Dick Clark, the man I saw on the screen was actually a couple hours younger than he was in real time. I didn't understand that when I watched the ball drop and change to the new year, that wasn't live. That action took place exactly two hours earlier. No wonder Dick Clark always looked so young.

I felt robbed.

That feeling of theft has stayed with me to this day, though it's not as big a deal as it was when I was little. We would countdown the clock, wait until midnight, then blow horns, bang pots and pans together and yell as loud as we could, "Happy New Year!!" The fact that Mr. Clark, the confetti, the music--it was all said and done hours before.

I don't know if others have felt this way--maybe it's just one of those weird quirks unique to me. But as we wait tonight for the chance to welcome a new year, as I see images on TV, I know it's not real. It's manufactured. It's fake. It's literally yesterday's news.

I do, however, want to wish friends, family, loved ones a very happy 2018. May it be your best year ever! God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment