Saturday, April 22, 2023

Cool...Very Cool Stuff!


 I experienced history Thursday, as did millions of others. We watched the Space X Starship liftoff and rise into the sky. Yes, it blew up, but from what I've read, whether or not the rocket blew up, the launch was a success.

Since I was a kid space travel has fascinated me. How could it not? Some of my first recollections were watching the moon landings, watching the capsules splashdown and the astronauts be picked up from the sea. Plus, I grew up watching Star Trek re-runs. Space was not just a fantasy, but in some ways, a reality.

The launch Thursday took place at work so I set up my camera, aimed it at my laptop, and filmed the whole thing. It was awesome. I'll be watching it in person was, to use a phrase, "out of this world."

So, I watched the video and appreciated the skill of those involved. The commentators kept saying the Starship rocket was the biggest rocket ever built. That surprised me because it didn't look like the biggest rocket ever built. I found a comparison chart of the largest rockets ever built and they were right. The thing is twice as tall as the space shuttle.

Last year I got to watch in person a test firing of the Artimus rocket booster. That was cool. The Artemis rocket lifted off and went to the moon last November. Watching all these launches takes me back to my childhood...

It's cool, very cool stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment