Tuesday, April 18, 2023

The Liberty Idaho LDS Chapel...Amazing

I saw the building at a distance as I drove Donk the Subaru though rural Southeastern Idaho. I'd seen the building only once before...a church on the small town's main road (appropriately enough named Church Street...). On the way in I admired it as I drove just under the posted speed limit. But on the way back...

I stopped and took a picture.

Maybe it's because I attended a historical church growing up, and I attend another one now.

Unfortunately, I was unable to go inside and look around. It might have been opened on a Saturday morning. Maybe some 20 - 30 somethings were playing a pick-up basketball game in a vain attempt to capture lost youth, or maybe some families were inside fulfilling their promise to help clean the building. 

But, this is in a rural area where members of the congregation may have morning chores and no one was there. When I drove passed in the late afternoon, the chances were most likely slimmer anyone was there. Too bad...I'm sure it's fascinating inside.

What I really would have liked to do was meet with someone who knows the building's history, knows what the community was like before it was built and what it meant to them after its dedication. Those stories are amazing. You can know and understand a people by looking at what they build and what they feel is a priority.

I don't know...maybe one day I'll step inside the unusual church. Then again, even if I don't, just seeing the building atop the crest of a small hill conveyed something to me...

Something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment