Sunday, April 23, 2023

Give Thanks...A Favor Asked


 Recently, a friend and fellow author reached out and asked me for a favor. He asked if I'd help with an upcoming literary project--something I've done for my own stories, but never for anyone else. I said yes. It's an honor to be asked.

Because the upcoming project is a continuation of his well-established series, one thing Ben wanted to do is provide me a copy of the previous five novels he's written...

Five novels.

It's an entire world.

I snapped a picture of me holding the entire series and I though how amazing it was that this world included in the pages came from the hard work of my friend. Each volume forwards the adventures of Billy Blacksmith, a gifted child who is called upon to battle evil. I'm almost halfway through the first novel and it's wonderful.

I know what it's like to need help when it comes to literary projects. I've been sitting on two novels for a while, and by "sitting," I mean, they've remained stored digitally inside my computer. I don't know why, but I've have not been able to work on them. Maybe it's because I think they might not be very good and no one would wan to read them. It's so much easier to find faults than it is to see the good. This month, I've dug one story out of the digital mothballs and started to edit it. It's such a long, but needed process.

I'm grateful to be asked the favor and the Ben's kindness to send me all his books--hardcopies at that. He did not need to do that. I could have downloaded the Kindle editions easily enough. I'm grateful someone feels my work is good enough to ask for help. It gives me confidence...much needed confidence.

The project won't be ready for a few months, so I've got a lot of reading to do. So far, I'm loving the story so for me it's a win-win. I'm excited to see how thing whole thing works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment