Sunday, April 30, 2023

Give Thanks...Share Your Talents


 Today, as I waited for the second hour of church to end and choir practice to start, I circled the Relief Society room that doubles as the Stake Center's baptismal room. The room is similar to others with framed artwork lining the walls.

I noticed a piece on one wall, on the north side. It wasn't the subject of colorful flowers in a vase that caught my attention, but the plague underneath. A plaque is there to draw attention to something. It tells the viewer there is something special with this specific work of art.

I walked over, read the engraved plaque.

The plaque worked. It caught my attention, drew me in, and gave me information that I would otherwise not have known.

This particular piece was created and donated by Hazel Rogers Call to the Relief Society of the Garland II Ward. Since I'm relatively new to the area, I have no idea who Hazel Rogers Call is, but the beauty of the situation is I don't need to know anything about her to have the artwork tell its story.

What I do know about her is that she was a giving person. The plaque doesn't tell me if Hazel actually created the artwork...I'm guessing she did. If she's the artist, then it's even more personal. If she didn't, well, she at least gave something to the building she didn't have to give. A selfless act.

Through the large church original paintings and copies of famous artwork hang in rooms and along hallways. They're all special, but for a certain piece hanging in the Garland Stake Center Relief Society, Sister Call's donation means a little bit more.

I'm grateful for Hazel for sharing her talents, be it creating or donating or both. Thanks, Hazel, for the gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment