Monday, June 12, 2023

A.I. Art...There's An App For That, Sort Of


A.I., Artificial Intelligence, it's all the rage. People much smarter than me have proclaimed the rise of A.I. as either one of the greatest developments of humanity, or something that will doom us all.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground.


For me, the programs are sort of a fad, something to kill time. I suppose I could use A.I. to generate these daily blog posts (maybe some of you would prefer it...). For the record, I've never used A.I. for the written words on these posts, but I have used the art.


Last week I found an A.I. app and thought I'd give it a chance. It works, sort of. I mean, some of what it generates is incredible, but other aspects--especially details on the people--they're not quite there. Of course, I did get the app when it was on sale, and by "on sale" I mean, free. I can only imagine if I were to fork over good money, the results would be (should be...) better.

Also, some of the results are puzzling at best. 

I put in a search for "Denmark" using the Steampunk filter and I got this: 


Still, could be worse.

In some ways, I want the "free" technology to improve and I'm sure it will. But, on the other hand, this means talented artists will not get contracts, not get paid for all the hard work they've put in. This is a very simplistic view, but there's some truth in it. 

When it comes to art, I don't know if I'll be using A.I. very much, as far as these posts specifically, or in general. Time will tell.


If you're interested in the app, here's the screenshot from the App Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment