Friday, June 2, 2023

The Little Trailer That Could...


 This morning was so perfect...how perfect was it?

It was so perfect I actually wanted to do yard work.

If you know me, that's a big deal.

Last winter I found this little trailer half-buried in the snow. I couldn't believe how much they wanted for it (low price...), but as the snow withdrew, I saw how much rust was on the thing, then I better understood the price. I bought it and brought it home. We had a welder put on a new hitch, and my brother-in-law helped wire it so it would be street legal.

We didn't know if it would actually haul anything...

Until today.

I'm happy to say, it did a fine job.

The weather this morning was perfect for working in the yard. Since we had no pressing wedding errands to run, my wife and I decided to tackle one of our remaining weed patches. Our solution? Cover the weeds with fabric and spread rocks over the top. It's works in other areas of the yard. we hope for the same result this time.

As I was transferring rocks from trailer to wheelbarrow I considered all the things that trailer has hauled over the five or so decades since it was built in a factory in Japan. It's from a Datsun pick-up, the precursor of the modern Nissan. Could they imagine as the workers assembled the truck bed that it would last into the twenty-first century--almost a quarter century into the twenty-first century? Probably not, but maybe so.

I have no idea if we'll be the trailer's final owner--it'll be a sad thing if we have to take it on its final trip. That is the way of things, however. All things that are made eventually go away, including trailers, including small rocks.

We wanted to buy a truck. It wasn't in the cards, so we picked up half a truck. So far, it's been the little trailer that could.

No comments:

Post a Comment