Thursday, June 1, 2023

Happy Birthday, Sis!


 Today is my sister Kim's birthday. I've been told when her birthday is before, but I forgot it. Thank goodness for social media to remind me.

For fifty-odd years I did not know I had a half-sister, but thanks to DNA technology we discovered each other. A few years ago she made the trip to Utah to visit my family. It was surreal and wonderful and strange and perfect.

Knowing I was adopted all my life and knowing both of my siblings were also adopted, I never really wanted to know about my birth parents. I didn't feel any ill will against them. I never blamed them for their decision and I never wished I could have grown up with them instead of my adoptive parents. No, I had an incredible childhood...I was truly blessed.

But, I never considered knowing others in the families. I thought about the possibility of one day meeting or finding out who my birth parents were, but the thought of half-brothers or half-sisters was not part of the equation. The adoption agency had some information about my birth parents. My birth mother had a five-year old daughter when I was born. When I first found out about my half-sister, I thought it was her. The problem was, the half-sister Kim is younger than me.

With each passing year, the chance of me actually meeting my birth parents diminishes, and that's okay. One day I'll meet them and we can have some wonderful conversations then. For now, I'm so happy I have a half-sister. She's amazing. She works with rock bands, if you can believe it. There was a time when I wanted to be in a band--maybe not as a career, but playing music was a blast. I don't think I would have made it as a rocker...I'd have to get some serious hair extensions.

Happy birthday, Kimmie! I hope this is your best year ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment