Sunday, June 11, 2023

Give Thanks...The Birds In The Air


 I thought I knew a lot about Northern Utah. After all, except for three years, I'd live in Northern Utah all my life. Yes, I lived "north," but not as north as I am now.

I had no idea.

Especially about the birds.

We lived just east of a bird refuge for decades. As a kid we used to ride our bikes to the wastelands that were West Farmington. I say "wastelands," because back then there was nothing there except farmland and a few homes. I remember the bike rides, but I don't remember any of the birds. To be honest, we were more interested in the bike ride than the birds.

I knew there was a huge bird refuge near Brigham City...it's one of the city's claim to fame. Last year we visited it for the first time. We saw some cool birds, but what I've loved is seeing the birds fly over our house. At our old home, we lived next to the mountain. Yes, we'd see birds, but not like where we live now. It's as if we live under the flightpath.

Tonight, it was seagulls. The California Seagull is the Utah State Bird. They're kind of ordinary, mostly because they're so common, but up close, they're fascinating (as are almost all birds...). Unfortunately, the birds I saw tonight were not close, but they still flew before an incredible backdrop.

I'm grateful for where we live. I'm grateful for the open skies and the marshlands to the south that play an important part in the lives of the migratory birds that fly in and fly out. I'm grateful for the beauty of nature and that I'm fortunate enough to see it, to experience it, to have it become part of me.

I thought I knew what we'd be in for when we moved. I'm glad I didn't because it's been a wonderful and eye-opening adventure that I hope continues for many years.



No comments:

Post a Comment