Thursday, September 14, 2023

Forgot How Great "It Happened One Night" Is...


 Last night I found myself in my room with a TV, a remote control, and a wide-open option as to things to watch. Since there was no sports on last night (or no sports I wanted to watch...), I searched the available movies. The selection was less than stellar. But I did happen upon a classic...

It Happened One Night.

If you're not familiar with the movie, it's from 1934 and stars Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. The film was grainy, had poor sound, and the channel on which I watched had commercials...not your optimum conditions for watching a movie. Didn't matter, the writing and acting makes up for it.

It Happened One Night is a story about a woman running away from her life, mostly from her fiancee. She meets Clark Gable, a journalist and regular Joe, on a bus. It's the ultimate "meet cute." Due to some circumstances, the two end up traveling together across the east coast. As they travel, they bicker, they fight, they get to know each other until, in the end, well...you should see it.

It's the original rom-com. I'm sure there were others that came before, but this one does it so well.

I first learned of the film at college when I took a History of Film class. I loved that class. I learned so much about films and came away with a huge appreciation for the craft. The film is so simple, but executes the story so well. The dialogue and acting are wonderful.

If you haven't seen it, check it out. If you like the romantic comedy genre, it holds its own with what is being produced today. It Happened One Night continues to entertain for almost one-hundred years. It did again last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment