Sunday, September 10, 2023

Give Thanks...For Another Season


 It's Sunday night in September which--for me--means a couple of things. Another season of Lagoon Amusement Park's Frightmares has begun, and...

I'm exhausted.

I worked for Lagoon years ago, decades ago. In 2014 I returned for a show in the summer and ended up working for Frightmares, their Halloween extended season to the park's year. 2014 was my first year. I've been back every year since, except 2020 when covid caused our show to be canceled. Since then, I returned for the 2021, 2022, and now, 2023 seasons. 

Even though I'm doing the same job, I am getting older. It takes me a little longer to get to the job, and takes a little longer recuperating when the shift is over. There was a time when I could work an additional twenty hours on top of my regular forty and not feel it. I'm afraid those days are gone, at least, from how I feel after my first weekend of the new Frightmares season.

Before one of our shows tonight, I chatted with the ticket agent assigned to the show. Both she and I have done community theater so we know the joy being involved in a great show can bring. With this show, Seance, they pay me, so it's a win-win.

Tonight I'll go to sleep and how to have a good night so I can wake up ready to take on my other job. Working two jobs is not the toughest thing in the world--many people do it. 

Before our show began this weekend and before the Halloween season officially began, I walked down an empty path, devoid of anyone else. The park is really a beautiful place at times, like last week. Of course, when it's packed with people having a good time, there's a beauty in that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment