Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Post The Picture, Or Not--I Mean, How Can I Not...?


 Social media's a strange animal. It's a place to brag, to complain, to share news whether or not anyone wants to hear it. It's like being able to produce a Family Christmas Letter every day of the year.

Some are more prolific than others.

I access social media more than some, but definitely not more than others. I'd like to think I'm striking a proper balance...not too much, not too little. Because I post something every day, I see things every day. I see friends post pictures of their vacations, their kids as they head off to school dances, their pets, their kids at graduations, even what food they eat. 

I'm guilty of doing the same (except for the school proms pictures...).

I try to limit what I post. I could post more, and I could post less. The other day we had the family over and I snapped a photo of our grandson. Now, I could post pictures of that little treasure all day long. For us, he's the greatest thing--even surpassing sliced bread. Because I've seen friends post pictures of their grandchildren, I know why they do it and I understand the desire to get those adorable pictures out there.

But, should I be posting those pictures?

I could ask the same question of other things. Should I post pictures of my family at the beach when many people would love to go to the beach and are unable to do so? Should I post pictures of my kids and now grandkid when others would love to have children and grandchildren in their lives and are unable to do so? I've thought about this a lot, especially when I see photos of friends on vacations I'd love to visit, or at concerts I'd love to attend. I'm happy for them--I really am. It's fun to see my friends having a good time.

The picture was adorable, baby asleep aside some apples. It's one of billions of photos posted that day. But for us, it's so much more than a photo...so much more. How can I not post it? 

Exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment