Friday, September 15, 2023

Top Of Utah...The Water Is Fine


 A few weeks ago, I found myself driving on a dirt road a few miles from the Utah - Idaho boarder. Depending who you ask, there's not much up here, unless you count open fields, desert grass, and bugs. 

However, it's stunningly beautiful.

Even though I live in the most amazing time of humanity as far as technology and developments go, I envy those who first entered the valley, the first human eyes to spot the land unfurl before them, most likely atop a horse or even on foot, the things they must have seen.

Funny thing is, from where took the picture from my phone sitting in the passenger seat of a mid-2000 Japanese minivan built somewhere in the southern United States, the scene I saw was pretty much exactly what someone would have seen in 1850, or year 500. Of course, I'm not a historian so I don't know what would have changed due to mankind or other historical factors, but when I sat in in the van and snapped the picture, I could imagine the view looking similar.

I used the picture as my day's Pic Of The Day with the caption that it showed the top of Utah. For some, it's just weeds, distant mountain peaks and clouds. For me, it was a link to the past, a past lacking so much of what we have but also a past that had so much promise, so much awe and wonder.

The top of Utah...the water (and by "water" I mean, life...) is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment