Thursday, April 21, 2022

Confessions Of A Former Utah Jazz Fan...


 Times have changed.

Back in the day, looking at that screenshot would have caused me a bout of mild depression. Such in the life of a Utah Jazz fan, or any sports fan, actually. Yes, there are teams that win and win and win, but eventually, they stop winning--can't win them all, some people say. And when they don't win, it's a bummer.

I started to be a huge Jazz fan in the late 1980s, back when the team had the best point guard/power forward duo in NBA history. They were an easy team to root for, to enjoy watching, to love. Since then, the franchise has had good seasons, bad seasons, and last year, the league's best record.

I even worked for the organization for two years in the early 1990s.

Hello...I'm Scott Taylor and I'm a recovering Jazz fan.

Most Jazz fans believe that tonight's game was pivotal. Of course, in the playoffs, all games count more than normal, but having home-court advantage in Round 1, playing at home with three of the other team's best players not playing, all the Jazz had to do was win...they did not. I'm sure a majority of people leaving Vivint Arena tonight think the series is over. It's not, but it could be soon. Even though I no longer watch/keep up with/obsess over the team, I still feel bad for those that do.

Maybe they win the next three games and win four in the next series and then win and win and win and win and hold up that shiny trophy, but things are not looking good.

Being over a year Jazz-sober, I know I sleep better. I have time to do other things like read and write (or, just watch other TV shows...). And since I don't watch any NBA games, the months of April/May/June are unsurprisingly less stressful for me.

I don't know if I'll ever fall off the wagon and once again root for the yellow, green, and purple (or whatever colors they don nowadays...). In life, sometimes you have to give up stuff...like the Utah Jazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment