Saturday, April 23, 2022

Stuff Like This...No Good Can Come From It


 A few days ago, I blogged about the Utah Jazz and how I no longer watch them play. It was after a playoff loss. Good news--they evened their series today, so there's that. I'm happy for them and their fans.

One sport I do continue to follow is college football. It was always high on my list, but since following a sports league nowadays involves more than simply watching and rooting for a team, college football has been elevated to number one. This makes the spring and summer almost unbearable at times...waiting for August and September to get here. Today, the University of Utah held their Spring Game...I have it recorded on the DVR--I'll get to it. I'm not the Ute's biggest fan, but that doesn't matter. I am a fan.

During the spring and summer, those who also enjoy the college game write and post things about the upcoming season, and the junkies eat it up. In a quest for clicks and reposts, people will put stuff out there, stuff that entertains and engages the public...

Even though sometimes they hurt.

Case in point, a ridiculous "Way-Too-Early Top 25" preseason poll.

And my team comes in at Number 4.

Oh, nothing good can come from this.

So, if I believe the preseason hype, then only disappointment can follow. I'm a believer of my team, but are they really the #4 team in the country? Hardly. College football is a big business, a billion-dollar concern. To place the team I follow so high...I wonder if whoever assembled this poll believes it, or if they just want to "push people's buttons."

I also saw another post on social media today. It was from an athlete deciding where to play college football. I don't know where he'll ultimately end-up, but Utah is listed as an option. What caught my attention is the other school choices...some of the best of the best programs in the country, and Utah is among them. Now this is one player's situation. The fact, however, that this player is considering Utah and Alabama, it shows the oldest university west of the Mississippi River is being considered one of the nation's best.

I have a choice...I can believe the hype of these preseason polls which will make any losses that much worse. Or, I can not believe it, wait until the games are actually played. The problem is, Option 2 is a tough thing to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment