Sunday, April 3, 2022

Give Thanks...For The Simple Reminders


For Date Night, my wife and I decided to get TexMex take-out, and some of the best TexMex is found about a mile from our house...at the local Chevron station.

Yes...at the gas station.

The food is excellent, just the thing for two tired people who spent much of the day working in the yard.

Of course, the food was not immediately available--good food many times is not "fast." While we waited, I took a little walk. I've done this several times as this was not our first visit to the eatery. And sometimes you see some interesting things at a gas station that see many out-of-state visitors.

That's when I walked passed the Mini State of Utah License Plate keychains. I had to see if they had a "Scott" keychain, and they did. Little known fact, you'll never see the names of my children on any of these things. 

As I was searching for my name, I came across the "T" names and I spotted two names in sequential order...

Tara and Taylor.

My sister's name, before she was married.

It made me miss her all over again.

Losing a parent or sibling--someone extremely close--affects you in ways you cannot imagine, and you'll not know how it will affect you until it happens. My sister's been gone for just over three months and at times I still can't believe it happened. It's just too odd, too strange, too wrong. 

Still, I'm thankful for the event. It reminded me of my sister. I'm sure she would have loved walking through the aisle and seeing her maiden name displayed as such. Taking a picture and sending it to her is something I would have done to brighten her day.

I found my keychain and my brother's keychain. I put them all in a row and snapped another picture (I'm guessing they didn't have my parent's names--Harry and Lois--if they did, I would have included them in the picture...). Don't worry, I put the keychains back to their proper alphabetical order so as to not confuse anyone traveling to Oregon, Idaho, Washington, Canada, or Snowville.

Spotting my sister's name made me sad, but also reminded me that I don't want to ever forget her...glad for that simple reminder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment