Thursday, November 2, 2023

Can I Live In a Sport-Less World...?


 It was time...long past time if I'm being truthful. We've had cable for so long, it was just part of normal life, like flipping on the light switch and having the room illuminated, we clicked a button on the remote and had the signal just be, well...there.

That ended Monday.

We cut the cord.

It wasn't a tough decision for the boys. They use the internet and that's pretty much it. The withdrawal pains are from the Mrs. and me. And of the two, it's mostly me because we've cut out all sports. Okay, almost all sports. There's a few games out there I can watch.

I don't think I could have done this a few years ago. The sanctimonious big leagues basically turned me off all pro sports. I didn't watch a NFL or NBA or MLB game in years. To be honest, I didn't miss it. That reaction surprised me. I thought it would be a lot tougher not watching the games. I didn't cut sports completely out of my life--I kept up on scores, but as far as watching...nope.

The only true sport I've followed and watched is college football. This weekend will be the first time I won't have access to the games, and since we may not be able to get even local channels, I may be sports-less completely, which means I'll be doing something else on Saturday.

For the past couple of days, I've contemplated the impact it'll have on me, on what I consider important. There's a lot of better things I can do with my time than to spend it watching hours upon hours of games, games that in the grand scheme of things, are less important than I once gave them credit. 

The weekend hasn't started. I'm hoping the games will come and go and I'll not suffer any ill effects. After all, it's perspective, how much I'm giving sports in my life. As of today, things are looking good...

I hope I can say the same on Sunday night, or five years from now.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment