Thursday, November 16, 2023

With A Bump And A Thunk...Secrets Revealed


 Sunday last, I was called upon (literally...) to lead a choir for our Stake Conference, a meeting of congregations in a given area. I've recently began leading a ward choir and they asked me to step up my game. I thought I'd be nervous, especially since that morning was the first time this particular choir sang together. I decided I was going to have fun with the assignment and not worry about screwing up.

Everything turned out swimmingly. 

The choir sang (they sounded amazing, in a good way...) and I left the meeting feeling wonderful.

It was something that happen as the choir members assembled to sing that caught everyone's attention.

As the singers gathered, we heard a thunk. I'm not sure if someone touched the wood panel at the front of the room or it fell on its own, but somehow gravity overtook the panel and it fell, exposing a large hole in the wall. We sang the song and after the meeting ended, a few investigated to see if the panel could easily be replaced. Turns out, it would take a little more than putting it back in place. We couldn't tell from our vantage point how it was supported. Most likely, it was glued in place from the other side.

It did, however, allow me to see something I've always wanted to see...some of the inner workings of a air pipe organ.

Not all chapels have pipe organs. Back in the day (our building's almost 100 years old...), a pipe organ was commonplace. I, of course, have no knowledge of pipe organ history, so I'm sort of winging it here. As technology advanced, you didn't need the pipes...electronics took its place. I can't imagine how much it would cost to buy and build a pipe organ in a new chapel. Just not cost-effective.

Last Sunday I only caught a peek and then shoved my phone in the hole and snapped a couple of pictures. A member of the congregation told me there's a door around the corner. Of course, there would be. They have to have access to the instrument for repairs and such. It would be fun to go inside and check it out up close.

I guess my quick look because a wood panel fell during a meeting will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment