Saturday, November 4, 2023

Happy Birthday, Dad...Ninety-Nine Years


 In one year from now, God willing, I'll be able to write about an important milestone in our family. It'll be the one-hundred year anniversary of my father's birth. Today, we're celebrating the next best thing.

Ninety-nine years.

My father has always been sort of an enigma for me. He passed away when I was eight-years old. I was old enough to understand what was happening, but too young to grasp what that event would mean for the rest of my life. I know my father by his deeds, by the things he accomplished in his short life. Simply put, he did more in the forty-nine years, than I have done (or will possibly ever do...) in my life. He is my hero, a man I've admired more and more with each passing year.

Without crunching the numbers, I believe I've blogged about my father more than any other person, more than my spouse, my kids, my friends. Yet, I know him less than everyone else. 

Tonight, as I think of the man and his life, I wonder what life was like on November 4th, 1924 on the plains of Montana, in a little hamlet of Harlem. During my autumn gig, I get the opportunity to chat with many people. There are a surprisingly large number of patrons from Montana. Whenever I find one, I always ask if they've heard of Harlem, Montana. I've yet to speak with one who has been there. Almost all of them have no idea where it is, or even that it exists. 

Did the town have electricity in 1924? Maybe, but considering the fact that my mother remembers when they installed electricity in their farmhouse in Clawson, Idaho--and she was younger than my father by seven years--my guess is they didn't...probably had no indoor plumbing, either. It's most likely a tough existence living in Harlem, Montana today, let alone a century ago.

I wish I had more time with him. I wish I could have talked about what it was like to be part of a B-17 fighter group over Germany, and was he scared being a tail gunner knowing it was the most vulnerable place to be. I would love to have talked to him about being a deputy sheriff in Idaho, about surviving the Great Depression, about getting a four-year engineering degree in only tree years, and having the knowledge (and courage...) to build his own house.

Ninety-nine years, gone for more years than he was alive.

Happy birthday, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment