Monday, February 5, 2024

Almost As Cool As The Original...Almost


 We've been on a Lego kick as of late. It started last year, but really ramped up around Christmastime. In fact, our family gave and received more Lego products last Christmas than ever before. But, the other day my son ordered something amazing.

The Lego Atari Video Computer System.

It's hard to describe just what that big box and those little boxes meant to a generation...my generation. It was the start of an entertainment revolution. It literally changed the world. I'm not video game historian, but I do know that the creator of Atari worked at the same place I worked (Lagoon...), and attended the same university I did (U of U...). He went on to create "Pong," considered to be the world's first video game. From there, that little game became what you see on the box.

I can't remember if we had one of our own...it's been many decades, but I do know my friends had the console and several games. Let's just say, I had access. The games, by today's standards, are almost laughable. It's like comparing stick figures to AI art. But, oh...how wonderful were those stick figures. 

The industry has not only evolved but exploded. Every corner of the planet knows about video games. It's opened doors of creativity rarely seen in the history of humanity.

And now, Atari's received perhaps its greatest honor...it's become Lego-ized.

Once the kit is fully assembled, it will sit on a shelf as a work of art. I'll bet there are Atari game consoles sitting on shelves all over the world as reminders of an earlier time. My son's latest Lego kit is very cool...almost as cool as the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment