Saturday, February 10, 2024

No, Facebook...You're WAY Off


 Back in January, a certain social media algorithm thought I might be interested in driving about an hour east and throwing myself into a frozen lake.

It's hard to express just how wrong that algorithm was.

I wonder if there was ever a time in my entire life when I would have been interested in this type of event. In my 20s...possibly, but even then, I'd most likely say "no thanks." And participating in these activities in my 50s might do permanent damage.

For fun, I pulled up the event's website to see what other activities were scheduled. You can check out the website yourself by clicking: HERE. Yes, it's more than just jumping into freezing-cold water. There's parties and get-togethers, and lots and lots of food. I suppose another reason for not attending is the cost. Sounds like it could be pricy.

I didn't click on the ad--just copied the picture. Had I actually clicked the picture (heaven forbid...), the algorithm might show me the same ad next January, or even worse, show me the ad over and over (and over...) again.

No, Facebook got it wrong. I wonder just how many of those algorithms out there are getting things wrong. Probably almost as many algorithms that exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment