Sunday, February 18, 2024

Give Thanks...For Choral Music


I got into the choral singing late in the game. Most of my friends took choir in jr. high school. Not me--I took band. I actually liked band, even though I didn't practice as much as I should have (or admitted to doing...). When I moved to high school, we had a choice to take music classes or not. I quit band. I also didn't have to take choir, so I didn't.

My loss.

In my sophomore year, my brother was a senior, He was in choir and madrigals and did quite well. When I became a senior, I decided to get involved. I joined the choir, went to state and lettered with our double quartet and had a blast. After returning from my mission, I joined the Mormon Youth Chorus and sang with them for three years. In my second year at college a friend of mine told me the University of Utah's A'capella Choir was looking for singers. I auditioned, made the cut, and it changed my life forever.

For the next six or seven years, I was involved in a choir. After I got married, my wife and I sang with the Utah Symphony Chorus, but after a few years, we stopped. I joined a regional choir for a season or two years later and that's where I've stopped singing in large choirs.

It's too bad. I really miss it.

Sometimes I'm reminded of those days. Last week I read about a combined high school choral concert happening just down the street. And to make it even better, Dr. Peter Steenblik, a theater friend who has moved on from little Rodger's Memorial Theatre gigs to get his Phd and now teaches in Florida, was directing. I went hoping to say "hello" to my friend, which I did, but it also brought back wonderful memories from my days singing beautiful music under the direction of incredible directors like Becky Jarman, Robert Bowden, Ed Thompson, Michael Huff, and others. They are amazing talents and even better people.

I'm thankful for those who create the music, for those like Dr. Steenblik, who have dedicated their lives to bringing that music to the masses, and I'm thankful for the opportunities I had with the music. 

The high school choirs were great and the place was packed. You can't ask for more than that.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment