Thursday, February 8, 2024

It was Groundhog Day...All Over Again


 Genius.

Back in the day, I wanted to go into advertising. I consider myself a creative type, but I seriously don't know if I'd be good at it. My brother worked in the industry for a few years. It was tough and, at times, kind of slimy, but I supposed all industries have a little of that in them.

Back then, advertising--at least to the causal observer--seemed simpler, if that's even possible. You had print, television, radio, billboard, even direct marketing advertising. Now...boy, it's the Wild Wild West. It's easier than ever to get your message across because there's so many different ways to do it. It may not reach as many people as before, but...I suppose that's the trade-off.

This past weekend, my wife and I watched the Bill Murray/Andie MacDowell classic, Groundhog Day. Since we streamed it (and because we're cheap and have the "with commercials" option...), advertising interrupted the broadcast. We're okay with that. Yes, they're annoying, but they're not that bad. About the second or third commercial break, we both noticed something peculiar...all the ads were from one company...Murdock Chevrolet. It's not unusual to see television ads from Murdock Chevrolet, but what made this a little different is the company ran the same ad--three times in a row--at each commercial break.

It's was like the "Groundhog Day" of commercials.

I've noticed ads on streaming programs many times duplicate the message, but every ad at every break? Well, it could be coincidence, or it could just be a genius move by someone.

I don't know which. I'll probably never know.

But, if it was planned or not, it was one of those serendipitous moments in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment