Saturday, August 26, 2017

First Time Watching Real Salt Lake Live...And What A Time We Had!


If you are on Facebook, you've probably seen a post that goes something like this:

"I have two tickets to see _______ and I can't use them. Who wants to go see _______."

For me, because I have so many theater FB friends, they usually have theater tickets, but when I checked FB while on a lunch break last Wednesday, I almost couldn't believe my eyes. My friend Bryce said he had to tickets to watch Real Salt Lake play San Jose that night in Sandy. The first thing I did was see if anyone had responded--nope. Then I saw was how long it had been since Bryce posted his note--not very long. I quickly responded and said I wanted to go.


And the tickets were mine!

Getting free MLS game tickets is great--I was one happy civil servant. But the more I learned about the tickets and the game, the more excited I got. These were not ordinary tickets--no sir-y! These were tickets that also included a pre-game buffet dinner. I've been to sporting events that include a pre-game meal (thanks to my good friend Jeff Lund...), so I thought this would be the same thing.

And it was.


Bryce said that I needed to make sure whomever I invited to go was over 21 since alcohol was served. Fortunately, my son was over 21 and not scheduled to work. We drove into the valley then caught the light-rail train to the stadium. It took a little bit of searching but we finally found the Audi Executive Club and were allowed in.


I've had good seats a few times at sporting events, but I've never had cushioned, leather seats before. Yes, they were nice. We had delicious food, watched Real beat their conference foes, and had a great time doing it. But the most impressive part of the evening was our host, Jeff.


The tickets were a raffle prize donated by a prominent law firm in town. You know how law firms sometimes are named after their a few of their partners, like Dillan, Johnson, and Phelps? Well, our host for the evening was Mr. Johnson of Dillan, Johnson, and Phelps. He was so great. We arrived about an hour before the game started and he stayed with us the whole time. We talked about what he did for work, his family, and such. We then talked about what my son and I did for work, our family, and such. It was fun getting to know him.


Wednesday night's game was the first MLS soccer game I saw in person. If you're going to go to a game, watching from the Audi Executive Club is a great way to start. Of course, this means I can never go to another game in person--kind of like the first time you fly first class. It ruins every non-first class seats from now on.


No comments:

Post a Comment