Thursday, August 24, 2017

Howie...AKA "Scooter Trash"


A few weeks back on a Friday night I ran an errand. The purpose was two-fold. We needed to get gas for the lawnmower so my daughter could mow the lawn the next morning, and I needed to take a picture of something.

I know that sounds weird, but it's true--not the "getting gas for the mower" part, the other part. I needed to take a picture to use for my Pic Of The Day. I try and take a picture during the day, no matter where I'm at. Sometimes it's an easy assignment--sometimes I have to find something around my house to make sure the Pic Of The Day continues uninterrupted. Turns out on that Friday night, my errand was successful on both fronts. My daughter mowed the lawn the next morning, and I met Howie, or as he admitted, sometimes known as Scooter Trash.

I think we've all seen them, older guys (and sometimes gals...) riding Harley Davidson motorcycles, leather jackets with patches upon patches. As I filled my little gas can, then my car, I noticed a one of those riders doing the same to his bike at the next set of pumps.

"Excuse me, can I ask you a question?" I asked, which, in reality, I already had.

"Sure," he said.

"Are you a veteran?" I've noticed that many of the riders wear military insignia and after fighting in various wars and facing death, riding a two-wheeled vehicle probably seems tame by comparison.

"Yeah, he said. He then told me the places he served in Vietnam. We ended up talking about what being a veteran means and other tings. He also asked for directions to a place in Ogden--he wasn't from here.

Finally, after we talked and wished each other well, I asked if I could get his picture. Fortunately, he agreed. As we parted I told him my name and he told me his. As I drove home I wondered if I would ever run into Howie again. If he lived here, perhaps, but since he doesn't, the odds are not good we'll cross paths. Of course, one of these days, when I'm traveling along the roads that criss-cross this amazing country, I might see him. Either way, I hope I never forget Howie, sometimes known as Scooter Trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment