Thursday, August 17, 2017

I Killed Spongebob...At Least, For One Kid


Funny story...

A few years ago we picked up a very inexpensive cellphone because our carrier decided to upgrade their system thus making my wife's phone at the time obsolete. We saw this thing--I think it cost maybe $4, and we called it the Spongebob phone, for obvious reasons. We figured it would be a temporary situation.

And that's what it turned out to be. My wife now has a relatively new phone with a different carrier. So, what to do with a functional, but pretty lame phone that has a few months of service still on it?

Give it to the kids, of course.

My daughter ended up using the Spongebob phone more than the other kids, so it was her job to keep it working, which included keeping it charged. Last week my wife said that the phone had apparently given up its ghost and it needed replacing. It wouldn't even turn on.

We decided to go shopping for the phone, but first, we stopped by Old Navy to pick me up some shorts (see my blog post dated August 11, 2017...). And while we shopped we discussed the dead phone. That's when I let fly:

"So, looks like Spongebob is dead."

I didn't see it, but my wife said that a little boy overheard me and apparently was shocked that I had delivered the grave news of Spongebob's demise. Hopefully, the child was able to go home and dial up Netflix (or wherever kids access their favorite entertainment...) and saw that Spongebob Squarepants was, indeed, very much alive.

It turns out the phone did not die after all. The charging problem was with the cord, not the phone, so had I known that, I might not have not shocked that kid. The phone's working, but it's no longer a Spongebob phone. We took off the Spongebob case and threw it away.

I guess, at least one Spongebob, really is dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment