Thursday, August 31, 2017

Can State Government Have A Sense Of Humor...?


I take public transportation to work. It't no secret. I'm not ashamed. It probably save our family thousands of dollars over my twenty-year career with my company. Last week I noticed something that seemed a bit out of the ordinary.

Which was exactly the point.

The transit service wants users of their fine trains and buses to notice stuff that's out of the ordinary. They also want us to report the things we've seen. Everyone can understand the point--it's important to report issues, I suppose, except there's a bit of "spying on your neighbor" aspect to it. Can't be helped, I guess.

Seeing these colorful and creative ads reminded me of other creative things the state has done lately. Someone at the Utah Department of Transportation is in charge of creating funny sayings on the huge signs spanning the freeways. I don't have any pictures of them--not usually safe to take a picture of a funny sign while driving between 70-80 m.p.h. Someone, however, did get pictures of some of these signs and put them on a website. You can access the site: HERE.

When I think of state government, I usually don't think about creativity. Then again, maybe I should. Hopefully, there will be more of this kind of thing out there in the future. And then maybe it won't be something out of the ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment