Friday, September 1, 2017

John Grisham's "Calico Joe"...A Book Review


Earlier this week I browsed my local library's downloadable audiobook section and came across a little story from John Grisham, a story I didn't know existed. It's called Calico Joe

Like most of the country--and many others across the globe--back in the day I read everything John Grisham wrote. In the 1990s, if he wrote it, I read it. And I enjoyed everything I read, too. No one questions the man's ability to craft an exciting yarn. But something happened--I can't say exactly what--and I just stopped. I guess another attorney story didn't hold my interest as it once did.

But when a Grisham book came available as an instant download at our library, I jumped at the chance. I'm glad I did. Once again, I enjoyed the story very much.

Calico Joe tells the story of a man confronting the sins of his father. Paul Tracey grew up in the shadow of is father, professional baseball pitcher Warren Tracey, a sports figure who had the well-earned reputation of hitting opposing batters. Usually that makes you unpopular, but in this case, it ruined several lives.

The story jumps from childhood memories to current day. These memories flood back as the son deals with his father's impending death. The story's other central figure is Joe Castle, Paul's childhood baseball hero and Warren's one-time adversary. The tragedy of Paul's life acts as a backdrop for father and son to not only rectify their own differences, but those they have with Joe.

The story is short, only about four hours of audiobook time. And being short, Grisham doesn't dwell on why the father is such a terrible person--all we know is he is with no redeeming qualifies. Still, it's not necessarily needed. It moves with painful realities and an engaging story.

The book is a few years old so maybe you've heard of it. Maybe you've already read it. If you've got time for a quick read about fathers, sons, and baseball, pick it up. You'll definitely like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment