Sunday, September 10, 2017

Troll Under The Bridge...


Children hear of trolls living under bridges. Today I saw one.

This morning my brother-in-law Mike was kind enough to take us on a tour of Seattle. I'll hopefully include more of our trip experiences on this blog later, but I wanted to introduce you to the Fremont Troll, a huge work of art currently living under the George Washington Memorial Bridge (a.k.a. the Aurora Bridge).


When we visited Seattle back in the mid-2000s, Mike thought he showed us the Fremont Troll before.  I don't think he did--I'm pretty sure I would have remembered it, especially a huge creature clutching in his enormous claw a real VW Beetle. Poor beetle--what did it ever do to anyone (except never adequately warming them in the cold...)?

I did a little checking. The city wanted to change the area under the bridge since it had become a dumping ground, among other things. They had a contest to see who could improve the area. The makers of the Fremont Troll won.

There's other art around, statues of people waiting for public transportation, a stature of Lenin (yes, Lenin...), and I'm sure I didn't see close to all of it, but for me, the Troll wins, hands down.

We saw a LOT of amazing things today. The Troll was one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment