Thursday, September 7, 2017

Man...It's Getting Nasty Out There


Last Saturday night I was on Twitter checking out some of the tweets during the BYU-LSU football game. If you're not from around here or familiar with what transpired in New Orleans last weekend, it was a tough night for the boys in blue.

And boy, did those who had opinions tweeted up a storm. I took a few screenshots that night. At first, the anti-cougars had a field day, mostly because they had a lot of ammunition. But as the game dragged on, people--even the haters--began to feel sorry for the Cougars. 

That was Saturday night. Since then--things are a little crazy out there. It goes back and forth, pro and con, red vs. blue. Even though the technology that brings us social media is incredible, I'm glad we didn't have social media when I was in college attending the University of Utah. I don't know if I could have handled it, especially watching BYU totally destroy my helpless Utes year...

After year...

After year.

I can definitely feel the BYU fan's pain. I was there. I lived it. And if I had to be reminded of the opposing teams dominance again and again on social media, that would have been too much.

The game is this coming Saturday. Utah fans are feeling pretty confident for several reasons, and the BYU game against LSU only bolstered that confidence. But, they shouldn't be that confident. Even when one team has all the advantages on paper, the underdog can deliver a crushing blow. As a Utah fan, I remember those rare events, too. And man, when the undermanned Utes beat the Cougs back in the day, it was that much sweeter.

I not the kind to make predictions. Conventional wisdom says Utah will probably win, but I wouldn't be surprised if Utah gets taken to the woodshed Saturday night. And if that happens, how different the tweets will be next week. It should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment