Monday, November 19, 2018

NOT Doing A Show This Christmas...


On social media I was reminded this past week that I've been doing a lot of Christmas shows. One of my pictures I took six years ago popped up and I was asked if I wanted to share the memory.

So, in the past six years, I've done five Christmas shows, two versions of Charles Dickens's Christmas Carol (that took up three shows...), an original production of Babes in Toyland, and a stage play of It's a Wonderful Life. It's been so normal for me to be in a show at Christmas, I've forgotten what it's like not to be in a show.

For example, I have so much more time, not only for Christmas, but for Thanksgiving. This week I'll be home when I'm not at work. I can help get the house/meal ready and I can help with all the other things that seem to pop up this time of year, things I couldn't do in years past.


Last weekend my wife, mother-in-law, and I went to my daughter's performance at Weber State University. The difference between her show and the shows we've been doing each Christmas is her college show only had three performances. The shows I've been doing at Christmas took two months of rehearsals and one month actually doing the show. We watched the show and afterwards, I helped tear down the set. That reminded me of being in a show, too.

There are times when I miss being in shows, but having all this extra time is pretty fantastic. I'm looking forward to not being at the theater until midnight or later all this week. I look forward to having every night and weekends free. The theater's Christmas show opens Friday. I wish them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment