Thursday, November 22, 2018

Say "Hi" To Vector...It's Our Future


The other day I was killing time scrolling through my Twitter feed when I came across a video. It was basically an advertisement for a little robot. I know the ad's purpose was to make me want to buy one of these little guys, but it left me with a different reaction.

It kind of creeped me out.

The product is called Vector and he's a small cute robot that is programmed to interact with its human owners in a personal way. The ad opened with its practicality. It can be a timer, an information resource (what time is it, what temperature is it outside, etc...). Then the video explains how this little gadget isn't just a motorized version of SIRI, it's a lot more.

This thing interacts, it craves attention, and it learns as it goes. As I watched the video it made me think that this little guy is supposed to be amazing and helpful and fun. But I think it's also supposed to be a legitimate companion for people, a way to interact with something--anything.

My mind projected. Today it's a little robot that rolls around on a table or desk. Tomorrow, the robots will mostly look, act, move, interact just like us. It's only a matter of time. 

Back when smartphones were new, not everyone had them. As time progressed society evolved to the point where nearly everyone has a smartphone. I see the day coming fairly quickly where everyone will have these personal robots that not just vacuum the floor but will talk to you, comfort you when you're sad, and tell you jokes to lighten the mood.

It's just a matter of time.

If you want to know more about this little gizmo, you can watch a different video: HERE. Maybe you'll have a different reaction to it than I did. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment