Saturday, November 16, 2019

Sometimes...We Do Live Like The Other Half


I don't have this feeling often--probably because I don't get out much--but this morning I found myself in an unusual (for me...) location.

A car dealership.

No, it's not a place I frequent.

My son decided it was time for a newer car and he decided to go to a dealership to buy it.

We have purchased cars at dealerships in the past. The last time was back in 2010. Between 2007 and 2010 we went through a couple of cars--vans, mostly. The cars have been so good for us that we haven't had the need to look at others. That's a good problem to have, and I'm grateful for it. As my son and I waited for the inevitable paperwork and approval process to be completed, I stepped out of the salesmen's office and checked out the space. The high ceilings above and incredible cars/trucks/suvs below made for a somewhat surreal experience. It's something the other half does.

I'm just not used to it.


I explained to my son as we waited that, for some people, hanging out at car dealerships are not a big deal. It's a normal occurrence. Some people are fortunate enough to be able to drive newer cars. And, let's face it, some people just love new cars. They will do what it takes to allow them to drive the newest and best. I'm glad they can--they've worked hard and sacrificed to be put in that position.

We live in such a world that--everywhere you turn--there's something new and shinny to entice and distract. I can easily see myself wanting the latest and greatest. Heck, I was looking at those floor models and thinking, what if...

Then, reality hits.

We've been blessed to have reliable transportation for all of our married life. I can't say that about before we got married--I drove mostly VW bugs. But since then, it's been something we haven't had to worry too much about. So, I suppose you could say that, even though we haven't driven new cars, we've been able to count on our cars. In that case, we have lived like the other half has, just in older cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment