Saturday, November 23, 2019

When Your Kids Grow Up...


November is a big birthday month for our family. My dad, my grandfather, my brother, me, and my son all have birthdays in November (I'm sure I'm missing some and for that, I apologize...). And I have several friends with November birthdays as well. It just seems like a good month to have a birthday.

Today, it was my son's turn. 

He turned twenty-one.

An adult.

He's such a great kid.

Growing up I never thought of myself as an artist, even though I do many artistic things now. Maybe it's always been there, but I didn't act on it. My son, now he's an artist! Some just have to create. It's as if when they're not creating something, then something is off--not right. I think my son's that way. It's in his DNA. He creates computer art, edits YouTube videos, is a graphic designer, and even excels in drawing. Each time he comes up with something new, I'm blown away.

Today, in the eyes of the law, he is of legal age. Funny, I didn't feel when I woke up that some responsibility had been lifted from my shoulders, because it hasn't. Even though he's twenty-one, he'll aways be my son and I'll always be his father. Some responsibilities can never time out.

In the coming years, our two youngest will reach the golden age of twenty-one and join their two older siblings as legal entities. But to us, their parents, they're our kids and we love them dearly. Happy birthday, son! Here's to the next couple of decades and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment