Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Ever Have One Of Those Customer Service Stories...?


Halloween, 2019. Back in the day we always picked up pizza for Halloween dinner. A local "bake-at-home" pizza place even made pizzas in the shape of jack-o-lanterns. Due to some food sensitivities, we haven't ordered from there in years.

This year, however, we decided to splurge.

We chose a local restaurant that makes food we can eat, but due to their, shall we say, unusual ordering requirements, we weren't able to call in the order to get the special deal. We had to order it in person, and when you're ordering several pizzas, every little bit of savings helps. Because others were involved in getting ready for Halloween night, it was my assignment to pick up the food.

What happened next was one of those customer service stories that happen to us every once in a while.

I ordered the food and I had to wait until it was done. Because of those before-mentioned food sensitivities, we needed to order the thin-crust pizzas. When I picked up the food, it was heavy, so I asked if they were thin-crust pizzas.

Turns out, they weren't. 

About two months earlier we had the same thing happen. I thought I had ordered the thin pizzas and I didn't realize my mistake until I got home. This time, once I found out the order wasn't right, I didn't take these home. Instead, I spoke to the manager and told him about the problem. Turns out the order was for thick crust, but the manager said there'd be no problem whatsoever. He started making replacement pizzas and told me the ones they made were "on the house."

It had been a long day. I put up Halloween decorations and we cleaned the house. The last thing I needed was an issue over dinner. The restaurant had every reason to require I pay for the extra food, but they smiled and took care of it. I'd like to think I would have acted the same way--I'm sure their day wasn't a walk in the park either.

We got our food, albeit a little late. And it tasted good.

No comments:

Post a Comment