Sunday, November 3, 2019

Speed, + Ice = Car In The Shop...


I didn't hear it. I didn't see it. I wasn't even in the car, mostly because the car's not mine, but my son's. And the mishap occurred while he was driving to work.

That's when, after the first snow and ice of the season hit, my son's car failed to negotiate a turn and the right front wheel slammed into a curb. I've been fortunate enough in my life never to have experienced an accident like that. But, after posting a picture of the damage, a mechanic friend of mine commented that he had five cars in his shop that morning with the same issue. I guess it happens a lot.

If you own a car, dealing with repairs is part of the deal, be it flat tires, oil changes, or replacing a front wheel assembly. My son, who earlier bought an older Toyota, found out that cars can be costly. He ended up selling that car and he bought this Volvo. It's newer, and has given him fewer problems. This time, it was ice and speed (and the lack of traction...) that caused the crash.

We have three cars and four drivers in our house. These are not new cars, but for many on this planet, the thought of having three cars is amazing. Many may never have the opportunity to have even one. Going from three to two until his is fixed is causing us to rethink our schedules. There will be more bus trips, and less trips then general. It's probably for the best, though. How many cars does a family really need, anyway?

In time, the insurance will cover the cost of the repairs and the mechanics will make things as good as new. Until then, we'll get by--just another one of those things that makes life interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment